Stain Protection Treatment
Stain protection products like the very well known Scotchguard™ and DuPont Teflon® Advanced™ that are used in Stain Resistant Carpets are water-based fluoro chemical product specially developed to protect carpets from liquid stains and dry soil by forming a shield around each carpet fibre. This helps prevent dirt and stains from being ground into or absorbed by the fibres, enabling most spills to be removed before staining and wicking occurs. This can be a big problem on light coloured wool carpets. Dirt and stains cling to untreated carpets and quickly become embedded in the fibres. Protectors help prevent this, making carpets easier to care for.
The main advantages are:
- Reduced dry soiling and staining
- Repels Water and Oil-Based Spills
- Long lasting protection to re-soiling
- Prolongs Carpet Life by retarding the penetration of water and oil-base spills, airborne and tracked-in dry soil. Routine vacuuming is, therefore, much more efficient and the possibility of fibre abrasion caused by embedded grit is minimized.
Carpet protectors must be professionally applied by your carpet cleaner. It is applied by spray application, dries quickly, and leaves no odour. It is non-toxic and safe to use around family and pets. It’s CFC- and solvent-free.
Stain Resistant Carpets
As a general rule stain resistant carpets have had a special coating applied to them sometime during there manufacturing process, This coating is not completely permanent, it needs to be re-applied from time to time, this would be done immediately after cleaning, useing the Hot Water Extraction Method . Most stain resistant carpet will only need the Protector re-applied every second or third clean or every two to five years which ever comes FIRST !
You should consult the Product Information that came with your carpet or check the manufactures web site.
The cost will depend on the size of the area and the brand of product used.
As a guide the cost is between $3.20 to $ 4.90 per square metre
Treating spills, applicable to all carpet types
- Sponge up with paper towel or bath towel.
- Next pour on some drinking SODA WATER OR FILTERED WATER only.
- Then sponge up with a Bath Towels or lots of paper towel.
- Repeat twice more, each time use just enough soda water to cover the spill.
- Finally place a dry towel over area and Press Down firmly to get excess moisture into towel REMOVE towel and let dry. If necessary put a small fan on blowing air across the area, This method works with soft drink, tea, coffee, and alcohol drinks. On wool carpets add 20% white vinegar to the last lot of Soda Water.
DO NOT USE GENERIC SUPERMARKET SPOTTERS. USE ONLY CARPET SPOTTERS THAT ARE APPROVED BY YOUR CARPET MANUFACTURE
Remember to get the carpets cleaned with the hot water extraction method at least once a year.